Catholic Committee on Opus Dei Operations in NYC
"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Dr. Valery Legasov, "Chernobyl"
En Espanol --
Sa Filipino --
中文 繁體 --
An Kreyòl --
Po Polsku --
Em Português --
En Français --
Po Slovensky --
V Ceštině --
In Italiano --
Kwa Kiswahili --
Na Hrvatskom --
Auf Deutsch --
V Slovenščini --
In Limba Romana --
In Het Nederlands --
Opus Dei is currently operating a large and well-funded recruitment apparatus in and around NYC via various front groups.
By "recruitment apparatus", we mean the centralized, intentional, and persistent accumulation of personal information, tracking of individuals, invited by members and/or otherwise motivated to attend social and/or religious activities controlled by
Opus Dei-affiliated centers, individuals and/or initiatives. This provides lay and priest numerary-operated Centers as well as regional Delegations with a vetted list of individuals possessing the necessary psychological, philosophical, financial and/or political potential to further the multiple purposes of
Opus Dei and its related front agencies.
This site will seek to inform the Catholic Community in the New York City/Tri-State area about the
Opus Dei recruitment operations that are currently active and ongoing.
Opus Dei has been identified by many Catholics and mainstream psychologists as operating similar in many respects to a cult, ie: engaging in secrecy, brainwashing, information gathering/dossier building, physical/verbal threats, indoctrination and psychological manipulation. Dr. Steven Hassan's BITE model of Authortarian Control accurately describes many of Opus Dei's practices.
Contact: info AT catholic-nyc DOT org
- Opus Dei North American HQ - located at
243 Lexington Ave/134 East 34th St., NY, NY. This is Opus Dei's base of operations in North America and NYC. A number of additional recruitment fronts operate out of this location. This building is also known as "Murray Hill Place". Murray Hill Place houses female and male numeraries in physically disconnected sections of the building, as well as maintenance workers who are unpaid numerary assistants. Wikimedia has an excellent
picture taken from the southwest of the building
- Schuyler Hall - recruitment front that operates out of 243 Lexington Ave; targets single, professional men
- Murray Hill Conference Center - recruitment front that operates out of 243 Lexington Ave; targets men; retreats only to men
- Murray Hill Place - recruitment front that operates out of 243 Lexington Ave; targets women; offers retreats only to women
- Murray Hill Institute - recruitment front that operates out of 243 Lexington Ave; serves as a recruitment front that targets women
- Parish of St. Agnes - 143 East 43rd Street, NY. NY. Parish located in midtown Manhattan just east of Grand Central Station. Administration of the parish was assigned to Opus Dei priests by the New York Archdiocese in 2016 and as such should be considered a recruitment front.
- The Avenue/Highland Study Center - 31 East 38th St, NY, NY; recruitment operation that appears to target women and children (8th through 12th grade).
- Alderton House - 117 East 70th St, NY, NY; recruitment operation that appears to target single, professional women.
- Vancourt Study Center - located in New Rochelle, just north of NYC; recruitment operation that appears to target single, professional women. Appears to coordinate activities with recruitment fronts in Manhattan, like Alderton House.
- IESE Business School NYC - 165 West 57th Street, NY, NY; NYC campus of Opus Dei-run IESE business school, which is part of the University of Navarra, Opus Dei's flagship university in Navarra, Spain. Targets students who attend its programs for recruitment.
- Leonine Forum - 165 West 57th Street, NY, NY; program that targets young female and male professionals; meets at IESE Business School NYC campus.
- World Youth Alliance - 228 East 71st Street, NY, NY; recruitment front that targets single, professional women and men through various social programs and fundraisers.
- Riverside Study Center -
330 Riverside Drive, NY, NY;
that targets college students primarily, but not exclusively, at Columbia University.
- South Bronx Educational Foundation - 843 Crotona Park North, Bronx, NY; recruitment front that targets college students from local universities, like Fordham and Manhattan College, to volunteer as tutors. Also targets children that attend the programs for recruitment.
- Rosedale Achievement Center - 1724 East 174th St, Bronx, NY; recruitment front that operates under the umbrella of the South Bronx Educational Foundation; targets college women and girls in grades 3 to 8.
- Crotona Achievement Center - 843 Crotona Park North, Bronx, NY; recruitment front that operates under the umbrella of the South Bronx Educational Foundation; targets college men and boys in grades 3 to 8.
- Southmont Center - South Orange, NJ; recruitment front that targets college students from Seton Hall University, boys in grammar school and fathers.
- Overlook Study Center - 99/117 Overlook Circle, New Rochelle, NY; located just north of NYC; recruitment front that targets college students from Iona College, Mahattan College and Fordham University, boys in grammar school and fathers.
- Pegasus (Overlook Study Center) - recruitment front that targets boys in 1st through 4th grade and their fathers.
- Leadership Camp (Overlook Study Center) - recruitment front that targets boys in 6th through 8th grade.
- The Grade (Overlook Study Center) - recruitment front that targets boys in high school and their fathers. This front also appears to serve as a vehicle to push people towards universities that already have an Opus Dei operation so as to continue to recruit them once they are in college. Also has separate website: The Grade
- Youth Service International - 330 Riverside Drive, NY, NY; recruitment front that targets high school and college students through domestic and international service programs. Also organizes high school and univeristy students to attend the Opus Dei-run UNIV Forum" This event also serves a prime recruitment tool for Opus Dei.
- St. Michael's Parish - 424 West 34th St; leadership of the parish is a part of Opus Dei; therefore the whole parish must be considered compromised as a recruitment front. Currently operate a Saints and Solemnities/Young Professionals Group that is a front that targets women and men professionals.
- Family Enrichment New York - meets at the Opus Dei-run IESE Business School on West 57th St, NY, NY; appears to target parents and single young professionals.
- Adeo Clubs - formerly known as The Narnia Clubs. Targets grades 1 to 12 and their mothers through religious training. Also meets at Alderton House.
- Morningside Institute - located on the Upper West Side of Manhattan. Targets Columbia University undergraduate and graduate students.
- Woodlawn Foundation - located New Rochelle, just north of NYC. Primary financial arm of Opus Dei in the US. Total assets as of 2018 are over $55 million.
- Montfort Academy - located Mount Vernon, just north of NYC. Small, private high school. Current information indicates that Opus Dei founded and operates the school, but there is no definite connection at this time.
- University of the Holy Cross Foundation - located at 420 Lexington Ave, NY, NY. Foundation that supports Opus Dei-run university in Rome.
Changed name to Formation Foundation )below).
- Formation Foundation - formerly known as the University of the Holy Cross
Foundation (above). Raises money for Opus Dei's university in Rome, the
Pontifical University of the Holy Cross. Mailing address is South Bend, IN, but physical operation is 420 Lexington Ave, Suite 300, NY, NY, 10170
- Clover Foundation - a foundation controlled by Opus Dei. Used as front to
purchase 165 West 57th Street, the current location of IESE NYC, the NYC branch of the Opus Dei controlled IESE Business School NYC campus.
- Harambee USA - a foundation controlled by Opus Dei that purports to assist with development in Africa. Operates out of New York City.
- Scepter Publishers - a publishing house owned and operated by Opus Dei. Mailing address in Strongville, OH, but true address is: 8 West 38th St, Suite 802, NY, NY 10018, Tel: 212-354-0670
- Hawthorn Foundation - foundation that is working to raise money for an Opus Dei high school in Manhattan or Fairfield County, CT. Looking to raise $100 million. PDF of fundraising letter.
- Association for Cultural Interchange - an organization that Opus Dei uses to funnel finances to its other recruitment fronts around the world: Nigeria, Czech Republic, Slovak Republic, South Africa, Kenya, India, Honduras, Hong Kong, Uruguay, Poland, Israel and Australia. Located at 420 Lexington Ave, Suite 300, NY, NY 10170
- Witherspoon Institute - an Opus Dei run thinktank that targets students at Princeton University.
- Mercer House - an Opus Dei residence that targets students at Princeton University.
- Rosemoor Foundation - Opus Dei-run foundation that funnels money to recruitment fronts/foundations throughout the United States, UK, Israel, South Africa and Italy. Based in New York City.
- The Art of Living - Opus Dei-run recruitment front targeting women in the NYC area.